Save the Poles
From 16.03.2010 to 10.06.2010 - Status: success
Since last November, Eric Larsen has been involved in a bid to reach all three Poles in under 365 days. He began by trekking to the South Pole last January (with two clients) and this Arctic spring, he is embarking on a trip to the North Pole from Ward Hunt.
These three expeditions all come under the well-known Eric Larsen banner of Save the Poles. They also have a common aim:
- to complete all three adventures in under 365 days,
- to promote clean energy,
- to come up with strategies for making effective reductions in carbon emissions
- to gather samples of snow and ice throughout the trek
- to make a documentary about global warming
- to produce educational programmes for young people on the subject of global warming, as well as team spirit and adventure
- and finally, to develop a series of multimedia lectures to be delivered after the expedition.
For the time being, though, Larsen is not talking about his next venture. Instead, he is spending the time between two trips analysing what he experienced on the Antarctic icecap during his recent trek to the South Pole.
One thing is certain, though the route selected by Larsen will be the classic one: Ward Hunt to the geographic North Pole. It is also possible, as was the case on his recent adventure in the Antarctic, that he will be accompanied by a client with sufficient strength and enthusiasm to attempt the journey.