Belgians Dixie & Sam Are Out
Published on 04.02.2012 - Antarctic Ice Expedition
After 74 days on the ice, Belgians Dixie Dansercoer and Sam Deltour have decided to abandon.
© Expedition website
Belgians Dixie Dansercoer and Sam Deltour have decided to give up their wind propelled adventure. Their communiqué says that the approaching winter weather brings increasingly unstable conditions. At this moment their current location still guarantees a safe pickup.
74 days on the ice
Three days ago they were flying over the ice and now -on 74th day of the expedition (3 February)- the tandem has decided to give up.
It is not a question of fatigue or rationning the foof-fuel whatsoever. No, if the duo has decided to abandon, it's because under the present weather circumstances, and given the moment of the season (early februiary), they did not feel secure enouigh to continue their voyage.
To better understand that decision, let's give the word to the press communiqué Julie Brown has posted yesterday : " After an epic journey of more than 5013 kilometers, 74 days on the ice, and with a world record distance to their name, Dixie Dansercoer and Sam Deltour are bringing their Antarctic ICE Expedition to a close."
"The approaching winter weather brings increasingly unstable conditions"
"Dixie announced, following careful consideration, that he and Sam have closed the Antarctic ICE expedition and would slowly begin their departure from Antarctica. All of the signs point to this lucid decision: their current "excellent" landing spot for an airplane and the pending end of the Antarctic season. There were many more components to this decision, but all of them led to the same conclusion: the time has come to end the expedition in safety, in harmony, and with total satisfaction."
"In Antarctica, the approaching winter weather brings increasingly unstable conditions. At this moment their current location still guarantees a safe pickup."
"The Antarctic ICE Expedition Team is now busy coordinating the logistics necessary to arrange their safe return from the ice with TAC/ALCI. We must first initiate their transport to Progress Station. This initial flight operation could take place as early as Sunday, February 5th. However nothing is certain because the weather in Dixie & Sam's area has high winds and low visibility due to blowing snow."
"More news to come, as we are admittedly digesting this announcement ourselves. We are filled with so much pride for what Dixie and Sam have achieved, but we'll save the celebratory moments for later. One thing is certain: until we have them safely off of the ice, we still have a job to do. There is still an amazing story to tell. One day at a time, we will bring them home."