On the ice again
Published on 01.03.2007 - The Arctic Arc
Due to a bad weather forecast, Alain and Dixie decided to fly to the departure zone this morning. Russian specialists have forecasted a heavy snowstorm above Arctichewski from March 2nd to March 5th. This will mean not only a lot of snow, but poor visibility (1 to 4 metres) and winds from the southwest at 8 to 15 knots.
As soon as the team got word of the forecast, they decided to pack everything up and head off immediately instead of spending a day in Golommyany to shoot some photos and footage. "If we stay here," Alain said on the phone this morning, "we are going to be stuck for at least three or four days. No way! We would rather be on the ice already and try to move...". Alain thinks they will be dropped 70km away from the coast.
This weekend we will publish very spectacular satellite maps showing the leads* that opened in front of Arktichewski Cape in less than a week.