Gildea Damien (Australia)
Damien Gildea has already seven Antarctic trips under his belt. He has made it to the top of Mt Vinson 3 times already and has ascended 8 times the nearby summits.
The Australian is better knows as a mountaineer and climber, for having carried out feats in far away areas of the world, than as a polar adventurer.
One day, he said: "I have spent the last 15 years climbing mountains throughout the world. But the last 7 summits I have climbed were all in Antarctica. At first, I worked as a mountain guide in Antarctica (for Adventure Network International (ANI)). Since then, I have succeeded in combining my passion for ascending unknown summits and succeeding in worldwide feats, and my passion regarding information on mountain environments. Damien Glidea has drawn numerous maps and written many articles related to mountaineering. Let's not forget his book "Antarctic Mountaineering Chronology", published in 1998 by Chessler Books.
Here is a short CV:
- 1995 - Bubuliomoting (6000m), Hunza, Pakistan. To 4700m via NW face.
- 1996 - Langtang Valley, Nepal. Reached 5300m.
- 1997 - Mt Toubkal (4135m), Atlas Mts, Morrocco.
- 1997 - NZ - south face of Mt Dark, Ben Ohau Range, solo new route in winter.
- 1998 - exploratory climbing to 4750m NW Yunnan province, China.
- 1999 - 4 x 6000m peaks Cordillera Real, Bolivia - reached 6550m 2000 - Denali (6194m) - Antarctica - co-guided on 1,100 km / 60-day sledging journey to South Pole.
- 2001 - Antarctic Peninsula - guided several small peaks.
- 2001 - NZ winter climbing, Fox Neve, ascents of Mt Haidinger & Lendenfeld Peak.
- 2001 Ãâ Mt Vinson (4892m), Antarctica.
- 2001 - Passu Sar (7480m), Hunza, Pakistan - reached 5000m.
- 2002 - exploratory climbing in NW Yunnan province, China.
- 2002 - Mt Shinn (4660m) - 3rd highest in Antarctica.
- 2003 - Mt Friesland (1700m), highest mountain on Livingston Island, Antarctica.
- 2004 - NZ winter ice climbing Ben Ohau Range.
- 2004 - Vinson (4892m), Antarctica.
- 2005 - Kula Kangri (7540m), Tibet - reached 6200m plus attempt to 6300m on Jiexiang.
- 2005-06 - Mt Craddock (4368m), 6th ascent Mt Gardner (4573m), attempt on Mt Tyree (4852m), Antarctica.
- 2006 - Aconcagua (6956m), Argentina.
- 2006-07 - Mt Atkinson, Mt Slaughter, Vinson solo new route, Mt Bentley (4137m), first ascent Mt Anderson (4144m), Antarctica.